Hi There! Neoknits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.neoknits.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Sew? I Knit!

Since the deadline for making the skirt for Sew? I knit! sew-along is on Monday, I figured I had better get cracking!

L1020353

So I saved the sewing machine from its exile in the closet, laid out my fabric, and cut away (and made a mess). I used a free wrap skirt pattern from fitzpatterns.com (Dana). I'm not going to complain too much about it cause it was free and all, but if I would have submitted this for one of my patternmaking classes, I would have not gotten a good grade. Luckily, I had some previous experience behind me and I was able to make out OK in the end. If I had been a beginner, it would have been almost down right impossible to get something that looked well enough to wear out of the house.

And here is the finished product (I apologize for the dark picture):

wrapskirt

fabric
(I ended up using a nice olive twill with a slight grey pinstripe)

It took me about 4 hours and a lot of cursing, but it's done! I love deadlines, that is the only way I get up off my butt and do stuff. I don't even know if I should tell you the silly mistakes I made. I'm a bit embarrassed by them actually! I haven't sewn in about 6 years, but I still think it is no excuse! First, I had forgotten to cut out both front panels, after all it's a wrap skirt, it needs two fronts. This would not have been a problem if I didn't sew both side seams together with one front panel! Doh!

So I ripped that out, cut out the second panel after looking at directions (which could have helped before I had sewn both side seams together) and fixed it up. Next came the waist band. Hmm, it was about 36" too short!

Now that wasn't my fault, and luckily nothing had to be ripped out this time. So I cut another 2 lengths of waistband out - problem solved.

Then came the hem, final step - I'm seeing the finish line - and I'm tired and cranky. I'm almost done, done, done..............noooooooooooooooooooo! The bobbin thread runs out 10" before the finish line. The hem looked like crap anyway, so I ripped it out and checked the bobbin. There was still a little bit of thread left, so I left it in and continued on the hem again. And guess what, it wasn't enough! I ran out again - damn my laziness! So I re-wound the bobbin and started where I left off, since it was an underpanel anyway, no one would ever notice.

And it was done. It was done and I like it, but it could use some good washing. The twill is a bit stiffer than I would like.

Now I remember why I stopped sewing. Nothing every goes smoothly, something that should take you 2 hours takes 4, and I get very cranky and start sewing things on wrong. I do like using the machine, but it's really only 1/4 of the project. Most of your time is spent cutting, pinning and ironing (did I mention I burnt myself with steam 3 times?)

I'm not sure what the next project will be, but whatever it is, I'm not waiting til the last minute to do it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooh! I love it, Melissa. Despite any problems you had during, the final product is beautiful. And, thanks for motivating me to finally start my skirt. Like you I haven't sewn in a while, so I'm a little nervous.

maritza said...

Go Melissa! The skirt looks good.
Yeah, sewing can be frustrating at times, but the end result is usually so worth it. (Funny, this quilting thing has really made me get so familiar with ironing - prior to this, I never even ironed my clothes.)

craftymodster said...

Melissa! You're a hard one to get a hold of, so I must leave a blog comment. First of all, you skirt turned out scrumptious! I adore A-lines are it looks as though yours fits perfectly. Of course why wouldn't it, given your chosen field? ;~) You're so talented in so many areas of garment construction, I am in awe!

Lastly, I wanted to say a hearty thank you for always posting such nice comments on my own miserable wee blog. You're too kind and generous, but it's much appreciated!

xo
Anjo