Hi There! Neoknits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.neoknits.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Friday, September 29, 2006

On a Roll

I'm on a roll with the book signings this week!

Last night I ventured up to Borders again to see Mel Clark and Tracey Ullman talk about their new knitting book Knit 2 Together. The audience was a bit sparse and only a few people had their knitting out, which was odd. I'm used to Yarn Harlot or SnB events I guess. The other odd thing was that the audience seemed to be filled with slightly creepy older men who were just there to see Tracey Ullman. They bought the book to have her sign and everything!

I felt really bad for Mel though. Most of the audience didn't pay her any mind and were a bit rude to her once they went up to get their books signed. The guy in front on me just wanted to talk to Tracey about how his friend is on the PTA with her and blah, blah, blah. Mel was obviously a bit perturbed, not to mention he's holding up the line. So she asked him if he knit. He kept talking to Tracey then answered, "Yes." Blah, blah, blah. Then she asks him, "When did you learn?" Blah, blah, blah, "When I was four." So Rude!!! So if anyone decided to go see them in Union Square B&N tonight at 7pm, make sure you give Mel some love!

Luckily, because of the rude blah blah guy, I was able to chat with Mel a little bit about designing and such. Apparently she had her own line, freelanced for LL Bean, and when she got burnt out from that, decided to open her own yarn store. She was an inspiration to me and I just wish I could have talked to her longer. I think it's time to get that SBA loan application in the works.......

5 comments:

sturdygirl said...

those guys were so gross! i read an interview somewhere with tracey ullman, about this book - and i got the same impression, that everyone was so bowled over about her that they ignored mel. i'm sure she designed most if not all of the patterns! oh well.

didn't know you were interested in starting your own business! you should totally go for it. :)

Moni said...

hmmm...an SBA loan? I'm intrigued..

YarnB said...

That is so interesting. A friend of mine takes all of her knitting classes at Mel's shop and she just loves it there! I just got the book actually!

Ellen said...

I'm so glad you had the chance to talk to Mel. I am lucky enough to have her shop, Wildfiber, as my LYS.
Sturdygirl, Mel did design all of the patterns for the book. She's so talented and has turned Wildfiber into such a wonderful shop.
I'm surprised the turnout was sparse.
I hope the rest of their signings go well.

Anonymous said...

I was also noticing this. Tracey is the best, but Mel, who really is the teacher, seemed a little pushed in their live appearances together. Hopefully the book will sell well, and Mel can continue writing more books.