Hi There! Neoknits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.neoknits.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Confession

I feel like I've done a bad thing. I cheated on my SnB group last night.

It all started out innocently enough. I saw that Tracy Ullman is coming to Borders on Thursday night to talk about her new book Knit 2 Together. So I clicked on the link to get some more info and I see that Al Franken is speaking. Al Franken! I love him and his books, so I chose Al Franken over my knitting group. I'm sure they'll forgive me after a proper lashing. :)

It was pretty cool to meet him in person and talk a little about the dire condition in Washington nowadays. Most Americans are so angry, frustrated and distraught and don't know what to do about it and how to make things better. So he offered a solution: send money to the candidates, get involved - volunteer, and most importantly: VOTE! Get out there on Nov. 7th and let them know we aren't going to take it anymore!

If you need some good reading material (that's written in a more serious tone than Franken's books) to get you even more fired up (whether you are a liberal or conservative) I suggest picking up a copy of John Dean's book Conservatives without Conscience. And if you are a conservative - before you say, "hey that title sounds like you're putting us down", just trust me on this one. Dean has been a life long conservative and has been involved in the government for many years dating back to the Nixon administration. He makes some very good points and is very concerned where the "authoritarian conservatives" have taken our country.

Ok, I'm stepping off my soap box now.

I have been knitting, but unfortunately I can't show what's going on. It really puts a damper on this whole knitting blog thing!

6 comments:

maritza said...

So glad you went! I was going to ask you about that. Very cool!

P.S. - I am sure they will forgive you for passing them up for Al Franken. ;) Now if you had passed them up for Bill O'Reilly, that would have been another story altogether.

Connie said...

I'd love to go to the Ullman thing too. I've leafed through her book at the bookstore. I love love love the peapod cardigan (it reminds me of your delicate knits), but not much else is appealing to me in that book. Unfortunately, coming from New Brunswick, I can't really come into the city on days other than the weekend.

Are you going then on Thursday?

Re: Glad you enjoyed the Franken talk. I'm in the middle of thinking of switching from physics to science policy, so politics, environmentally responsible policies and the like are definitely on my mind these days.

Moni said...

Yes, don't feel bad about being on a soapbox! I love it! :). It kind of fires me up. I've been so depressed about the state of our nation that I feel like I've kind of fallen off of my soapbox :P

Anyway, I am jealous that you got to meet Al Franken! He's one of my heros.

schrodinger said...

How cool to meet Mr Franken. I wish I was allowed to vote, but as a 'visitor' to this country, I never know how much space I have to complain - I can't resist getting involved in moveon.org stuff though :)

sulu-design said...

We'll forgive your absense this time... just don't make it a habit! Glad you enjoyed yourself.

carrie said...

i would have loved to hear al franken speak. i worked at night so long that i never remember to check out events in the evening.