Hi There! Neoknits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Possum Yarn?

My boss was in Australia and New Zealand a few weeks back and she was nice enough to bring back my assistant and I some yarn surprises. She told me that she had brought me back Possum yarn and I was intrigued. Possums don't exactly look like the most cuddly creatures, nor would I think of them as a yarny type of animal.

Possum Yarn

When she brought it in and I got to feel, I have to tell you, it was quite a nice yarn. The exact blend is 50% Merino Wool/40% Possum Fur/10% Silk. She told me that she had asked the lady what to buy for a knitter that sniffs yarn. The woman looked at her a little puzzled and pointed her in the direction of this particular yarn. (They have a website too)

I'm not quite sure what I'd like to do with it yet, maybe a stripy scarf? There is about 200 yards in each ball, so I have quite a bit to work with. I'm sure I'll be consulting the nifty Ravelry pattern search engine eventually for ideas.


Jessica said...

Whoa. So it's not only soft, but sniffable, too? I find both of these facts totally shocking. But they're got a lot of possums running around over there, I guess it's good that they're putting 'em to use!
Maybe it needs to be a fair-isle hat and mittens set with little possums running all around it.... ;)

nicolina said...

i'm more intrigued that your boss brought you back yarn. are you hiring?? let us know how it knits up!

OfTroy said...

the NZ possum --like the Virginian (US) possum is a marsupial.. but they are very different animals.

I can't imaging a yarn made from a US possum.. (the fur of a US possum (a creature of the wet lands) is well oiled (and very, very aromatic..and not in a nice way!)

mooncalf said...

I've had 10 balls of dk-weight possum-merino in my stash for ages now. I've no idea what to do with it. Maybe I'll just do whatever you do :)

Pat said...

Hi the yarn you have is from the Australian Bushtial possum. Harvested in New Zealand where they are a pest. It is a hollow fiber with a very high thermal value. It is not only used in knitting yarn but also in very expensive suits. We also use it in duvet inners.

Kathy said...

Hi there. I hope you still will see this comment. I bought a BEAUTIFUL possum yarn sweater that was made in New Zealand years ago. A warning is that it is INCREDIBLY warm. I used to wear it in Alaska in the winter with only a light t-shirt on underneath. It's extremely light weight so you could make a very airy scarf, not use much yarn and have a scarf that would stand up well to cold winter days. BTW, new to your site... followed the link from Gigi. Nice designs!