Hi There! Neoknits has moved!

If all works well, you should be automatically redirected to the new site in 10 seconds.

If that doesn't happen, please visit
http://www.neoknits.com

Don't forget to update your bookmarks and your RSS Feeds!

See you soon!

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Help!

I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a nice DK weight yarn for a baby sweater. I'm making the Pea Pod Baby Set from Interweave and don't really want to use the Debbie Bliss it calls for. Does anyone have a suggestion of something that is machine washable, is soft and holds up well without pilling? Oh, and did I mention cheap?

I ordered some Jaeger Baby Merino DK from Webs and they totally disappointed me. I placed the order on Sunday and today.......3 days later......they email me to tell me it's out of stock! Meanwhile, I go back to the website and it says they still have 6 skeins in stock (they had like a billion when I ordered). Hmm, needless to say, I don't think I'll be ordering anything from them EVER again! So I'm in panic mode now and don't know what to do. I know it's not that big of a deal and I can get this yarn elsewhere, but I lost 3 days on a tight schedule project! And now I'm not so sure I want this yarn now since I'm going to pay much more somewhere else. Sigh.

15 comments:

maritza said...

Rowan DK cotton maybe? There's also Lorna's Laces worsted weight, which is squishy, fabulous, and machine-washable. Hope that helps a little. :)

Elizabeth B. said...

I have two suggestions, Dale's Falk and FDC's Zara. Both are wool and machine washable. Good luck!

Cathi said...

The only suggestion I have, and I don't know if it's machine washable, is Rowan DK Wool, which is at Elann right now in a billion different colors.

Anonymous said...

This won't be any cheaper than debbie bliss... but it washes and dries in the drier beautifully: It's the Sublime extra fine merino wool dk. It's a new line I think. I got it at my LYS. It runs slightly cheaper than the rowan/debbie bliss lines and washes/dries a little nicer. Plus they have really adorable soft, baby colours. Good luck!

Connie said...

What a pain, Melissa! I hate online shopping sometimes. I've used Plymouth Dream Baby Dk.
It's a good machine washable yarn and very soft, but it's all acrylic. Still, it's almost as soft as Rowan Cashsoft DK. And good for baby since it's completely machine washable and dryable. good luck!

Anonymous said...

I second the Zara suggestion. I've made a couple of scarves and a baby cardigan with it, and they come out beautifully after a machine wash. Very soft too.

schrodinger said...

Sorry to hear of the yarn stress, that's so annoying that they took so long to tell you they didn't have any yarn left. I would third the zara suggestion, I thought it was a pleasure to knit with, and by all accounts, it washes and dries like a dream. Good luck!!

spajonas said...

i like zara too and rowan cashsoft dk. both are great to work with and are machine washable.

Anonymous said...

I echo the Dale recommendation. I like the colors, the feel, and it's machine washable. It's not cheap per se, but the yardage you get will mean that you won't have to buy tons.

Holli Yeoh said...

Shelridge Farm (http://www.shelridge.com/yarns.php?z=z4) makes a wonderfully soft dk that is now machine washable. I would call it a light dk but when washed it blooms beautifully and plumps up a bit.

MeBeth said...

I'm going to throw in another vote for the zara, it's my favorite baby yarn ever.

km said...

I just finished a sweater for my little one out of cascade cherub collection. I can't say anything about pilling (haven't had it that long) but it's sooo soft. And for my babies I love machine washables...they always spit up. I paid less than $5 a ball. Can't complain there.

Hannah Six said...

You might need to play around with gauge a bit, but I LOVE Dale's Baby Ull. It's incredibly soft and machine washable, with a nice variety of colors. Makes nice socks, too!

J.Reilly said...

Hi! I love your blog and your knitting patterns! I just thought I'd let you know I knit peapod in GGH Maxima, using 4 balls for the 12 mo. size. My best girlfriend's daughter wears it constantly and it's held up to the use very well!

Anonymous said...

I think you're already set on this, but I'm using Knit Picks Shine Sport. It's coming out a little drapey for my taste, but you can't beat the cheapness! I think it will be a nice summer sweater for a spring baby.